Our library held a technology conference for its employees at our main location today. I had the privilege of giving digital photography demonstrations. I spoke about Picasa, Flickr, and Adobe Photoshop Elements among other things--which is great because I'm at about the same level as the listeners! I'm the guy the family designates to take off-center pictures, annoying candid shots and those great shots of headless people. It was reassuring to see that there were people who had less experience than I did.
I came across letter to the editor in the Cincinnati Enquirer ( The Enquirer - With so much info on phone, why huge library? ) a little over a week ago, and I felt I needed to comment on it, but not without thinking about it a bit more. At first, I was a bit miffed at Aaron Gillum. I thought, "Hey, you have no idea what you're talking about. Data isn't the beginning and the end of information. There's also interpretation, and people want money for that. Who's going to provide that for the people who have no internet skills or access? You? 'Hey, everyone who can't afford a Blackberry with a data service plan go see Aaron--he'll let you use his!'" But then I looked a bit more closely at his argument, and at the library in question, and I did begin to wonder, "Do libraries have an edifice complex?" Now, before you judge me, I do believe that Mr. Gillum is missing part of the point--unless you are ready to digest all of the data required ...
There are so many tools for reading articles out there, that there is no way I could cover all of them. I will tell you that the one that I have been using for a short time, Pocket (formerly Readability Read It Later), is one of the most useful PLN tools I have come across in a while. What a pleasant surprise that when I added the Pocket extension to Chrome, I found a Send to Pocket button next to each item in Google Reader. Each morning, I skim through Reader, picking titles or summaries that look intriguing. Later in the day, during breaks, or lunch, I open up the Pocket app in my Kindle Fire (if you sync it with wifi, the items are available offline) where I can read, delete, mark as favorite, or apply tags to each item. It even has a bulk edit function. Finally, Pocket is one of the supported services at IFTTT, so you can automate things like bookmarking at Diigo, links to Evernote, automated blog publishing, or a combination of these and other activities. Pock...
Comments